A1 Oral Motor Program
What is Oral Motor Program?
Oral Motor Course uses hierarchical based approaches by feeding and tools to improve speech clarity and feeding skills, like chewing and swallowing. All instructors are trained personally by Sara Johnson, a famous Speech Pathologist from America (Founder of Oral Placement Therapy).
Applicable groups and symptoms
- Preschool children and school children's speech problems: inability to speak, asophia, long tongue tie, inability to use long sentence, stuttering, voice disorder, jaw instability when speaking.
- Oral motor disabilities due to high risk factors (premature birth, jaundice and low birth weight): Drooling, feeding disorder, swallowing disorder, chewing disorder, finger biting.
- Oral sensitivity disorder: delayed speech due to clinical disorder (Downs Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, Hearing Disorder, Cleft Palate).
- Primary Course: Sensory Training, Feeding Training.
- Junior Course: Jaw Stability Training, Breath Training, Lip Training.
- Senior Course: Tongue Flexibility Training, Jaw Grading Training, Oral Motor Combination Training.
What does it work for?
- Preschool children’ s preparation for school.
- Improve oral motor development
- Improve speech clarity
- Improve speech fluency
- In 2008, SRJ Oral Motor Placement Program was introduced by OST. Sara Johnson and her team trained our therapist personally. In nearly 3 years, therapist has undergone thousands of cases and obtained relevant certificates.
- After 2008, OST held several trainings about SRJ Oral Motor Placement Therapy Program all over China and trained more than 2000 medical workers. SRJ Oral Motor Placement Therapy Program is generally replacing traditional therapy methods of single oral-massage and photo-card education,and complemented the drawbacks of these methods.
- Therapists from America, UK, HK, Taiwan. They give therapy sessions, do evaluations and therapist training.
- Therapists from Mainland China. 80% graduate from Medical Science and Clinical Psychology. 20% graduate from Education.
- From an assistant therapist to a confident therapist, who can give therapy sessions and make therapy plan independently, they will need an One-year intensive course of both theories and clinical practice and one to two years clinical experience. To become Junior Therapist, Senior Therapist, Supervisor and evaluator, a therapist should experience several tests and assessments. All therapists should meet two important standards that is qualified therapy effect and a certain amount of therapy hours. Besides tests and assessments, therapists should receive training from Hong Kong special education, and American SRJ Oral Motor Placement Program certification and obtain certificates.
- With 9 years’ persistent effort, OST has 30 supervisors including therapists from America and HK, 38 evaluators, 186 junior therapists and higher including therapists graduated from Universities from HK, US and UK who obtain bachelor or master degrees.